Neelam Sharma, A founding anchor with over 20 years of association with DD news, passes away due to cancer. Her demise news was published on official Twitter account of DD News.
DD News weep for passing away of our dear Colleague Neelam Sharma. She played an important role in many capacities. From ‘Badi Charcha’ to ‘Tejasvini’ her path-breaking programs won accolades including Nari Shakti Award,” the tweet mention.
Dear Girls & Ladies, you must be aware about cancer and its states.
Neelam get award Nari Shakti Puraskar by President Ram Nath Kovind earlier this year. The sudden departure of the journalist has left people in shock around the world.
Delhi Finance Minister Manish Sisodia write on the twitter: “Shocked to know that Neelam Sharma is no more. Lots of memories from All India Radio and DD. The sober and gracious anchor would be missed by all.”
Shashi Shekhar, CEO Prasar Bharati (Doordarshan & All India Radio) wrote that,””Prayers and condolences from entire Prasar Bharati parivar to her family.”
Neelam Sharma awards and Honours:
- Nari Shakti Puraskar 2019.
- KPS Gill “Fearless Indian” award for excellence in Journalism 2017.
- Media Maharathi award in 2013.
- Aadhi Abadi Women Achievers Awards 2010.
Neelam Sharma Colleges/University:
- She completed graduation from Lady Shri Ram College for women.
- Diploma in Journalism from Indian Institute of Mass Communication.
- She completed degree in Journalism from Mass Communication Research Center – Jamia Millia Islamia University.
Neelam Sharma was born in 1969 in a Brahmin family. She spent most of the time of her life in New Delhi. Neelam was 50 years old at the time of her death.
Some Less Known Facts About Neelam Sharma:
- She was one of the most popular Indian News Anchors. She become the face of Doordarshan with her popular prime-time news show on DD National in the 90’s era.
- Apart from presenting news on DD NEWS, She also host other programs Charcha Main, Ehsaas, Tejaswini, etc.
- She also host the annual event Bhartiya Chhatra Sansad(Indian student of Parliament) run by MIT-SOG in Pune.
- Neelam Sharma like Traditional Indian saree and open hair on her shows. Indian stalwart Amita Malik appreciate her traditional appearance.
Toughest tasks done by Late Indian external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj