The 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov allegedly drive a rent pick-up along a Manhattan bike path. And kill eight people.
The victims were five Argentines who travel to New York to celebrate 30 years since their high school graduation. A young mother from Belgium and two Americans.
According to officials, Mr Saipov, an Uzbek immigrant, was shot at the scene by police. Investigators say, he told them he was inspired by the Islamic State militant group.
US President Donald Trump has repeated calls for the suspect in the New York truck attack to get the death penalty. But Mr Trump backed away from his call a day earlier to send Sayfullo Saipov to Guantanamo Bay, saying “that process takes much longer”.
The suspect told police he “felt good” about Tuesday’s Halloween attack and wanted to kill as many as possible.
Mr Saipov, who appeared in court on Wednesday in a wheelchair. Who faces federal terrorism charges, which means the government could override New York state’s ban on capital punishment.
Tweeted the Republican president, “There is also something appropriate about keeping him in the home of the horrible crime he committed,”
Mr Trump added: “Should move fast, DEATH PENALTY!”, Some legal commentators suggest that Mr Trump’s comments could be seen as prejudicial to a trial.
Earlier this week, a military judge said he would consider a lighter sentence for Bowe Bergdahl. A US soldier who deserted his Afghan base, because of Mr Trump’s previous urging for that defendant to face the death penalty. What did suspect informed? Prosecutors say Mr Saipov spoke freely to them. Waiving his right to avoid self-incrimination while in custody.
According to federal court papers, he said:
The attack was a year in the planning and he carried out a trial run with a rental truck last month
He originally planned to target the Brooklyn Bridge as well.
He wanted to display IS flags on the truck. But decide not to draw attention to himself.
He was inspire by 90 graphic on his phone. One in which IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi asks what Muslims are doing to avenge deaths in Iraq.
Mr Saipov was charge with one count of providing material support and resources to IS. Another count of violence and destruction of motor vehicles.
The five Argentines – all men age 48 or 49 – as Hernán Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damián Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernán Ferrucci.
Belgian officials said Anne-Laure Decadt. A 31-year old mother of two from Staden in Flanders killed. Three Belgians wounded.
Though the two Americans identified as Darren Drake, 32, and Nicholas Cleves, 23.
Twelve others were injured & four in critical condition.
The source says the suspect had some contact with individuals extremists. At least one of whom was Uzbek.
The FBI meanwhile says they have located a second Uzbek man. A 32-year-old Mukhammadzoir Kadirov. Who wanted for questioning in connection with Tuesday’s attack.
Sayfullo Saipov Video of Incident